Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Sometimes. Fucking. Never.

Is one of those rare books I can't criticize so much as rave about. I'll admit, for the first time with a Crossing Chaos novel, I had a few doubt going into it. In general, I'm more interested in work that renovates form than work that destroys it--it didn't help that there was a Kenji Siratori quote on the back.

But God, was I fucking wrong.

Sometimes Never is one of the most stunning peices of avante-garde science fiction ever written. It's something like what you would get if you combined Kathy Acker, the aforementioned Kenji Siratori, and added some of the word-play from Finnegan's Wake alongside some serious philosophical/metaphysical dimension--then an aesthetic of cracking glass.

This is seriously one of the most exhilerating, impressive things I've ever read. Seriously. If I'd known what it was sooner (originally I didn't know there was an actual novel in there--in context, the first twenty pages of "noise" proves extremely effective, but I wouldn't want over a hundred pages of it), I would have bought it a long time ago.

Beyond this point, there isn't much that can be articulated; rather, it needs to be experienced. Embrace the noise. It is most certainly not empty.

No comments:

Post a Comment